Test Footer

Saturday, February 25, 2012

1st Day Of The Year

Nas and Damian Marley's "In His Own Words" in my ears, my mind desperately searching for any lost memories from last night. My throat feels parched and my voice is croaky; Cocoa Wah Wah water has never tasted soooo good! I really wanted to go to Old Biscuit Mill but thats too far and that environment isn't exactly conducive for blogging. And now one of the girls sitting at the table next to mine has a chocolate covered croissant that I can't stop staring at. I'm just going to let the girl believe that she is the reason I can't stop passing glances at their way. I'm just a hungry African boy and I can't wait to get my own food.

See, for most people, the year begins on the 1st of January. For me, the year begins on the 24th of February. I usually spend the first 8-9 weeks of the calendar year reiewing the previous year and planning the next. Last year was probably one of the busiest years of my life. So much happened in such a short space of time. This year promises to be even more exciting though I am trying to do way less and focus on just a few particular things. I figured its time I settle down a little and be a little less adventurous. Is this a sign that I am growing old???

"That party last night..." Such good times!!! Every year for the past 3 or so years, I have found myself surrounded by some of the most amazing people on my special day. I put up a Facebook event for a braai about 3 hours before the actual braai and it somehow turned out to be the best thing I could have done. We had a small crowd of some of my closest friends. The usual suspects - Charles, Farai, etc - were there with the exception of Dismasi. The Southern Ambition crew of Moses and Wes was there too. I need to avoid these guys. I think I have seen them everyday for the past 2 months. But I think my favorite crew that came last night was Jemwa, Chigome and Samuel. It was really cool to celebrate with these boys because these are kids I spent two years of my life living with in Leo Marquard. They probably helped shape a lot of what UCT has made me into so having them around was a damn good thing.

Although there were people that were out there to make sure that I didnt remember anything from last night, I think I did pretty well. I had an elaborate plan to take everyone I could down with me. By the time we left for town, Charles had already become the star of the show. My dear friend is such a lightweight, he is always main entertainment on both our birthdays. Just before we left, Wes, Raz, Nigel and Josh made sure I had taken a hell of a lot of shots of Jack Daniels. Once we got to Abantu I made sure I started taking people down with me. I made Pip and Wes take 'Missed My Flight' shots. I cant remember how many I made them take but I can definitely remember the two calling it a night pretty early. Mission accomplished! The rest of the night was spent in the Dubliner where we ran into a bunch of kids from Interstudy who I'd been on the Garden Route with a few weeks ago. I'd love to tell you what happened at the Dubliner but everything else is just coming back to me in flashes. The whisky I had taken at the house started kicking in. All I know is that I made sure I ran away from Ally all night. The last time I hung out with Irish people in an Irish pub, I had to recollect the night from pics on my phone. I know Charles had to go home early because he had work today. I also remember pulling a ridiculous American accent and the cab driver thinking we were all Americans. Then when he tried to overcharge us, Wes and I just pulled some serious Shona on the guy and he was so shocked, he almost crashed. The beauty of being Zimbabwean.

Okay, its taken me over 2 hours to write this. For obvious reasons, I'm a little slow today. Feels good to be blogging again. Lets see if I can be consistent this time around. Thanks for reading

Juan Love!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Main Rd,Cape Town,South Africa

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Sample Text

Sample text

Social Icons

Labels

Pages

Labels

Labels

Ads 468x60px

Featured Posts Coolbthemes