Test Footer

Monday, June 27, 2011

A Typical Day in Guangzhou


As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, part of the reason of my travel to china was for an intensive summer camp. I figured it would be necessary to let you know what my daily routine was. That way, a lot of what I would talk about would make sense and it also gives a glimpse into my life while I am out here. Being an “intensive” camp, you can be rest assured that most of the time was spent in class. However, this was probably the most interesting class I have had in my entire college career.

The day was essentially divided into four parts. In the morning, we would have the Mandarin classes. The first hour and a half would be dedicated to learning Chinese characters and the second hour and a half would be for talking and listening. The classes were conducted by young Chinese teachers who I am pretty sure are still students at SYSU or are recent graduates. The fact that these teachers were young coupled with the fact that they were really excited to be hosting African students made this class so easy going. I promise you, if every class at UCT was conducted like these classes, no one would have DPR. These were classes where the end of class came more as a surprise rather than a long awaited event.

The afternoon was dedicated mainly to Chinese culture. The first half of the afternoon was when we were taught either Chinese songs or something about the actual culture, such as table manners, paper cutting and Chinese architecture. The songs were always the most fun because they usually came with a video and we would have to do the dances as well. Unfortunately, I cannot remember any of the songs so if you see me on the street, please do not ask me to perform any of these songs. The second half was the best part of the day. It was when we had Tai Chi and Kung Fu lessons. Yeah I said it!!! This was something I had always wanted to do and what better place to do than in China itself. Y’all better not mess with me anymore

The period between 6 and 10 pm everyday was a time for shopping. Since the entire day was packed with classes and stuff, after dark was the only time we could actually go out shopping. Luckily, if they actually close, most places in Guangzhou close after 10 pm. I have to say, this place is quite ridiculous when it comes to shopping. I don’t know how people here live with all these things in their face. Being a person who is infamous for “liking things” Guangzhou was like a little heaven. I never thought I could go out every night looking for stuff to buy. However, when you are in Guangzhou, you might find yourself doing many things you never thought you would.

The last few hours of the day – after midnight – were the time to go out. Guangzhou has a nightlife that is matched by none I have heard of or seen anywhere. People in this city make it seem as if every day is a holiday. I was surprised the first time I went out, on a Tuesday, to find that the place was as alive as ever. As a result, going out became part of daily routine. Though I didn’t go out every night, I definitely went out way more than I would if I had been back home.

Being in Guangzhou was the definition of working hard and playing hard…well, and shopping hard as well. Ha!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Sample Text

Sample text

Social Icons

Labels

Pages

Labels

Labels

Ads 468x60px

Featured Posts Coolbthemes