Test Footer

Friday, January 28, 2011

The boy is back...


If you know me well, you will know these two things about me. Firstly, I am not a big fan of the dark, and secondly, I am terrified by heights. So how is it that I find myself at 11 pm sitting on the balcony of the 36th floor apartment that I have called home for the past 4 days? But how can I not? I have the view of one of the most breathtaking skylines I have ever seen. Below me on the right is the stunning Knight Concert Hall of the Adrienne Arsht Centre for Performing Arts. A little further down on the left is the American Airlines Arena. With the architectural competition in the downtown Miami skyline, AAA is not exactly eye candy, but the fact that it’s the home of the Miami Heat makes it kind-of-a-big-deal. A lot further down, right in the heart of downtown Miami, is a building that made me think I was in Singapore the first time I saw it, (I so badly want to go there) or in Dubai (oh, I’m actually going there) The Miami Tower – Florida’s 8th tallest building – is one of the most beautiful buildings I have ever come across. I can’t help but stare and imagine what was going through the architects’ minds as they designed this brilliant structure, which is lit in blue for the Christmas season.  So you can see how I, a tenant in the tallest building in midtown Miami, (14th in Miami) can overcome all my fears and relax in view of such beauty. I would love to say, “Back to reality,” but we never left, this is reality.


The Adrienne Arsht Center
A lot of people have asked me where I have been and why I have been so quiet on the blogsphere. In all honesty, even though I seem to be having a great time now, the last couple of weeks have been a little harsh. From tiring days at work, to running back and forth between Social Security offices, after Boston, I have had to realize that being independent and far away from home takes a lot of responsibility. Having been ‘homeless’ for about a week and moving from one hotel room to the other and staying with friends in some not-so-homely neighborhoods, I have not been in the right mind state to write. However, its not all as gloomy as it might sound. Everything that happened was part of the plan. It was like going to the gym after a long time knowing that for the next few days your body is going to ache. Lessons were learnt and the man continues to grow. I am pretty sure that the “gym sessions” will pay off. I can already feel myself building life ‘muscle’ that I need. It’s only a matter of time before the abs start showing and the shirt starts ripping.

My actual view from the balcony. Ironically, I got this photo off the internet

That being said, I am back and will try and fill in the huge gap that I left in my adventures while I have been out here. With only two weeks left in Miami, I have a lot more to look forward to but will try hard as I can to get you all up to speed by the time I leave. I trust you have been well. Until next time, I am going to continue staring at the Miami Tower and try figure out where on the streets of Harare we could build something similar….I might be here all night!
The Miami Tower

3 comments:

Breath taking views love. Let me know how that Harare idea comes along :-).

keep going Thembie...more blogs!

Ko iwe benzi hautaure kuti urikwa Amereke. How long you around? Wazodhuva kuita kure chikomana

Post a Comment

Sample Text

Sample text

Social Icons

Labels

Pages

Labels

Labels

Ads 468x60px

Featured Posts Coolbthemes